Tourists who can Visit U.S. Without a Visa | Eatontown, NJ

Call Us Today!
(888) 695-6169

Tourists who can Visit U.S. Without a Visa

Are you planning a vacation to the United States to see its beauty as a tourist? OR do you need to attend to a business matter? If so, you’re probably thinking about the hassle of getting a visitor visa.

BUT you don’t have to worry because the US government provides non-visa passage to a foreign national whose purpose of stay is either for tourism or business.

My name is Andres Mejer, Immigration Attorney and an immigrant myself. For our Tip of the Week, we will be discussing the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and how a Tourist CAN visit the US without a visa.

What the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is all about?

Essentially, the Visa Waiver Program allows foreign citizens visiting the United States for vacation or business, to stay in the country for up to 90 days WITHOUT requiring a visitor visa.

Here are some tips for you about this program: 

Tip #1 – Check if your country is included in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

A visa waiver is available to citizens of the nations listed in the program, such as:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Chile  
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • AND many more

A list of the other countries participating in the program can be found at the US Bureau of Consular Affairs website, linked in the description below (point Down to the description box)

NOW. Here’s a BONUS TIP: Did you know that Canadians and Bermudans are exempt from the need for a visa?

Yes! You heard that correctly. SO, if you happen to be a citizen of Canada or Bermuda, then a B-1 or B-2 visa to enter the United States is NOT necessary. 

All you have to do is present your passport at the border and explain that you’re entering the U.S. as a visitor for business or tourism;

Take note that you are entering the U.S. by virtue of “visa-exempt” AND NOT through the Visa Waiver Program.

Tip #2 – Prepare your V-W-P travel documents

Let us NOW go over what you need to show or have in order to enter the US as a VWP visitor.

Before you go, check if you have following: 

  • A ticket indicating a departure from the United States;
  • An e-passport (MRP) – one with an embedded electronic chip;  
  • AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, an authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), before you board a US-bound air or sea carrier. 

An e-Passport, which looks like this (point to the RIGHT side of the screen to display an example of an e-passport), contains an embedded electronic chip as an improved security feature of the passport.

Keep in mind that EACH member of your family, including newborn and children, are required to have their OWN passport.

ALSO, you should make sure that the passport is valid for AT LEAST six months after you enter the US. 

Tip #3 – Get authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization or ESTA

Each VWP traveler must obtain an authorization from ESTA before traveling to the US. 

For you to obtain this authorization, you can visit the ESTA website , through the link in the description below (point DOWN for the description box)

The application will ask for biographic information, details about your passport, travel plans, AND security-related questions.

Keep in mind that approval of an ESTA does not ensure entrance into the United States. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the port of entry have the authority to allow OR deny entrance into the US.  

And now we’re at our last Tip. 

Tip #4 – Know the limits of the Visa Waiver Program

IF you enter the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, TAKE NOTE… You are not allowed for the following:

  1. Extend the permitted time of your stay;
  2. Change your status to another nonimmigrant classification; OR
  3. Apply for a green card without first leaving the country.

And that wraps up our Tip of the Week on the Visa Waiver Program

Now that you know HOW a tourist may enter the US without a visitor visa, it’s time to pack your bags and book a trip to the US, where the American journey awaits you!

IF you find this video informative, then like and share it with your friends who also want to go to the US as a tourist. 

And if you have any ideas for future videos or would like me to talk about a particular immigration-related topic, go ahead, and let me know in the comment section down below. 

While applying for a visa is relatively simple and straightforward, IF you are having trouble in getting one or you would like to discuss your case, feel free to reach us at our website at Andres Mejer Law. 

Until next time, stay healthy and be safe.

Share this post: