What are the consequences 39:4-50.15 DUI with a minor in New Jersey | Immigration Attorney | Eatontown NJ

Call Us Today!
(888) 695-6169

What if I have a minor in the car and I am charged with DUI 39:4-50.15??

As if a DUI isn’t bad enough, if you have a minor in the car, you may also be charged with the Disorderly Persons offense in violation of N.J.S. 39:4-50.15.  This means you will be charged with two serious offenses and a possible jail time in one or both, depending if you have had any prior DUIs.  Depending on the severity, you can also be charged with child endangerment which is a crime and is an indictable charge.  You should never drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but you should most certainly not do so with a minor in the car.  If convicted of N.J.S. 39:4-50.15 you are facing possible six months in jail, six months loss of license, community service, and a fine of $1000 plus court costs.To convict you of N.J.S. 39:4-50.15 the prosecutor has to prove that:

  1. You were operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway,
  2. You were under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
  3. A minor child was in the vehicle, and
  4. You were legally responsible for the minor child (i.e., parent; stepparent; foster parent; legal guardian, for example an adult acting in a supervisory capacity such as a coach, teacher, or baby sitter).

Prosecutors are particularly aggressive when it comes to children in the car.  If you are not a U.S. citizen and are convicted of N.J.S. 30:4-50.15, you could be loss of you visa and deportation.  Don’t take any chances.  Find an experienced DUI and immigration attorney to help you.

So What Do I Do?

If you live out of New Jersey and received a ticket/DUI in Monmouth or Ocean Counties, you can

  1. Download our free traffic ticket book  “Why Pleading Guilty to your New Jersey Traffic Ticket is NOT an option by clicking on the title,”
  2. Download our DUI book, “Arrested for Drunk Driving?  Learn How to Beat the Odds,”
  3. On the menu on the right you will find our immigration books including a tool to help you figure out if you qualify for legal status,
  4. You contact me through this site or the chat feature; or
  5. You can call our knowledgeable staff at 888-695-6169.

Related Topics

Share this post: