USCIS: How to Notify USCIS or NVC About a Change of Address | Eatontown, NJ

Call Us Today!
(888) 695-6169

USCIS: How to Notify USCIS or NVC About a Change of Address

USCIS: How to Notify USCIS or NVC About a Change of Address


When you are undergoing a visa or a green card application process, it is important that you notify the USCIS or the NVC regarding a change of address. 


This is because once an alien fails to notify any of the two agencies, they may fail to respond and get petition dismissed or be put into removal proceedings. That mistake would make a possibly simple application into an extremely complicated one.  


But before we go through the steps, let us first identify: 


Which office should you notify regarding your address change?


The National Visa Center is an intermediary who is in charge of handling immigrant visa cases for US consular offices. 


If you were petitioned for a green card by a US family member and your application was processed and forwarded to a US consulate,your documents will be received and handled by the NVC.


Now, if you change your address, alerting the NVC about it before the visa interview can help you avoid problems with your application.


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)


The USCIS handles the majority of immigration cases within the United States. This implies that if you are a green card holder or a non-US citizen residing in the US, you must address your application to them rather than the NVC.


Now, let’s discuss: 


What are the steps to notify the proper agency of a change of address?


Steps in notifying the USCIS

Step 1: Secure Form AR-11 (Alien’s Change of Address Card)


If you are planning to move to another location, it is advisable that you already secure Form AR-11 to avoid neglecting to notify the proper authorities.


Remember that as a green card holder or non-citizen, you must notify within 10 days of changing your address.


Indicate your most recent address in the form. Keep in mind that this only applies to the addresses in the United States and that previous addresses outside the country should not be included. 


Also, the address that you provide must be your actual home address, not a P.O. box or your work address.


Step 2: Submit your Form AR-11 either online or by mail.


Once you have complied with all of the necessary documents and filled out the form, you need to send your form to the USCIS. Luckily, there are two options that you can take:



When updating your address online, you will be required to provide the following information:

  • The details on the applicant/petitioner, such as the receipt number (if you have a pending case with USCIS),
  • Information about your citizenship, 
  • Old and new addresses, 
  • AND the place and date of your admission into the United States (if any).


One advantage is that you can request an email confirmation of the address change. Keep this email in case your address change goes wrong. 



While submitting online is easy, it is important to know that not all visa applicants can use the USCIS online portal. 


Self-petitioners under the Violence Against Women Act, as well as severe crime and human trafficking victims, are among those who are unable to file online.


If you are unable to file online, you may find a list of addresses where you should mail your form on the USCIS website, linked in the description below. 


For those who opt to mail it instead, they would need to send their form with the following specifications:


U.S. Department of Homeland Security 

Citizenship and Immigration Services 

Attn: Change of Address 

1344 Pleasants Drive 

Harrisonburg, VA 22801


Here’s a Tip: Always photocopy the forms and documents to send including the courier receipt as your back up in case your mail gets lost on the way or misplaced.


And now let’s take a look at:


Informing the NVC of a Change of Address

Notifying NVC regarding address change is straightforward. In order to inform them of your new address, go to their Public Inquiry Form, which can be accessed through the travel state gov website.


If your phone number or email address has recently changed, please include it there.

Share this post: