U-Visa in New Jersey | Immigration Attorney | Eatontown NJ

Call Us Today!
(888) 695-6169

Everything you need to know about U-Visa in New Jersey

U non-immigrant status (the U Visa) is for non-citizens who are victims of serious crimes and can be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of those crimes.  The U visa first allows you to remain legally in the United States for four years. After three years in this status, you can apply for lawful permanent residency (a green card).  You need to file form I-918 with supporting documents.U-Visa can be of great value for you or a loved one to avoid deportation or to achieve legal status.  It often arises in the domestic violence world, but isn’t limited to that.

What are the benefits of U nonimmigrant status (also known as a U visa)?

  1. The U visa is first allows you to remain legally in the United States for four years. After three years in this status, you can apply for lawful permanent residency (a green card).
  2. The U Visa also is extended to certain of your family members.  For example, your spouse or minor children who also have no immigration status in the U.S.
  3. Gives you work authorization.
  4. You can immediately apply for social security number and a driver’s license
  5. You can immediately apply for some public benefits.

What are the requirements for the U visa?

  1. You must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been the victim of a qualifying crime.  For example, rape, torture, incest, domestic violence, sexual assault, abusive sexual contact, prostitution, sexual exploitation, female genital mutilation, being held hostage, peonage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint, false imprisonment, blackmail, extortion, manslaughter, murder, felonious assault, witness tampering, obstruction of justice, perjury, or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit these or similar offenses in violation of federal, state or local criminal law.
  2. You must have information about the criminal activity and has, is, or will be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. If you are under 16 years of age, a parent or guardian may fill this role.
  3. You must have law enforcement certification from a prosecutor, judge, or other authority investigating criminal activity
  4. You must be admissible into the U.S.  meaning you can’t have criminal problems or be a threat to public health or safety unless you can prove that it is in the public’s interest for you to get a U-Visa.

Is it Easy to Get a U-Visa?

These type of cases are extremely document intensive.  You have to first convince a law enforcement eagency to sign form I-918 Supplement B to support your petition.  That could be signed, for example, by the police, prosecutor, or Judge involved in the matter. This is an absolute requirement. Many of these agencies suffer from a false understanding of what their involvement means.  It is our job to educate them and get their cooperation.

Immigration and U-Visa attorney Andres Mejer has the experience and knowledge to help you with your U-Visa case. While there are areas of immigration law where you may not need an attorney, U- Visa is not one of them.  It is very document-intensive and requires a lot of factual evidence. A bare bones U-Visa application with little proof will be denied.

If you think you may qualify for U-Visa, or any path to legal status, take a couple of minutes to find out.  Go to www.QualifyForLegalStatus.com, answer the questions, and get your FREE Analysis today.  Let Andres Mejer Law, help you file the best U-Visa application possible and increase your chances of getting it approved. Call us at 888-695-6169 to learn how we can help you with this important process.


Andres Mejer Law helps individuals and families who need help with U.S. citizenship, legal residency, deportation, and other immigration issues in the Long Branch and Lakewood areas and across New Jersey.

Share this post: